Monday, March 22, 2010

A Weekend of Learning

It was a long weekend. On Saturday, I spent the day at a Partnership Training on Early Intervention. It was a good day, despite the fact that I had to spend it indoors in a hotel conference room. I learned quite a bit, and anything that makes me a better advocate for Nicholas is worthy of my time away from the boys. I also met some amazing moms (and dads) that have children with disabilities. Only three families in the room of sixty had a child with down syndrome (I was surprised by that fact). The mom sitting to my left had a daughter who had brain surgery (a facial cranio something or other too technical for me to understand) and the mom next to her had a 10 month old daughter with spina bifida. On the other side of me was a young mother with a two-year old son with speech delays. So there was quite a spectrum (so to speak) in the type of disability. For once, I felt like we were somewhere in the middle...actually, closer to the mom with the child with speech delays. And, down syndrome didn't sound all that bad. I mean, he can move his legs, he can say a couple words "No", "Mama" "Dada" and "Row, Row, Row." I also thought that if Nicholas didn't have down syndrome I probably wouldn't even be sitting there. What I mean is that if he had a significant physical impairment, I'd probably still likely be grieving. And if he had only speech delays, I'd probably assume he'd grow out of it. So, I give much credit to those parents of a child who fall on either side of the disability spectrum (the severe and the not-so-severe).
On Sunday, it was sunny and the boys and I played outside for a bit while daddy was at work. Nicholas is starting to get used to going outside and he no longer sees the door open and wants to run, run far away.

He actually walks (not runs)...




and plays



and watches Nathan ride his bike....






Sunday was also World Down Syndrome Day 2010! We are so very proud of our Nicholas and honored to be able to celebrate him on that day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment